Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Flunking the Modesty Test


My little fashionista came home a little bent from church a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently, she flunked the modesty test and wasn't too happy about it.

What was on this modesty test you ask?  The list went something like this ...

Clothes that are tight fitting.
Her response -- Well, we all know how I feel about my skinny jeans!!

Clothes that are sloppy.
Her response -- The second I walk in the door at home, I change into soccer shorts and a tshirt.  Doesn't get any sloppier than that!!

Skirts and Dresses that hit the bottom of your knee.
Her response -- The whole time they are talking, I'm staring at my skirt that hits the top of my knee.

Nothing strapless or tank tops.
Her response -- I TOTALLY wear tank tops sometimes.

Nothing too flashy.
Her response -- HELLO!!  There is hardly anything in my closet that doesn't have sequins, glitter or sparkles.

She dejectedly stated that the only saving grace during the whole thing was that she doesn't own a bikini.

While we all laughed .. and she got more and more irritated at why we could not comprehend the tragedy of this day .. I actually thought about how far she had come.

When my older girls were little, we did a modesty lesson at home.  I pulled pictures from magazines and had them decide what was appropriate and what was not appropriate.

Like this ...


  

Never focusing on the person .. just the clothing options and choices.  They LOVED it and talked about that lesson for years.  They also used the word "inappropriate" at times when I wished they knew how to whisper!

We attempted to repeat the same lesson years later with the fashionista around age four.
Her continued response to the less desirable choices was ... "THAT'S HOT"!!  No matter how much we tried, none of us could convince her that these clothes were anything but SUPER HOT!!

It would appear that a corner has been turned!!

0 comments: