Friday, October 15, 2010

Latest Reason Why I Love Texas

We are coming up on five years in Texas, and this week I was reminded of one of my favorites things about living here! Over the five years, I have been regularly amazed by how much faith and God are a part of life here ... A school assembly on Veterans Day that starts with a prayer asking God to bless the troops ... neighbors who ask where ya'll go to church (not if, where) ... etc.

This week, I went with Nat while she had surgery. Her OB came in and talked to us about the procedure, what to expect, answered questions and then he said ... "Okay, let's have a prayer." He talked about her desire to have children, using faith and having the Lord guide them both during this process. When he was done, he got me a Kleenex and made a joke about how the tears must be genetic. :)

The part that amazed me is that there is never a question about what religion you are or what religion I am, if a prayer would be appropriate or if you will be offended by such a request, what is the proper way to pray ... it is pure and simple faith and an acknowledgment that we need the Lord every step of the way in life.

1 comments:

rawemoments said...

It's so wonderful to hear that faith is still "accepted" and embraced in some places. Just last week, I was in a meeting, we were talking about and planning a "holiday" pcelebration for all employees. I asked if we couldn't just call it a Christmas lunch, sad to say, the answer was "no", it had to be referred to as a holiday lunch so as not to offend. Sad but true. Thanks for sharing your story - hope Natalie is doing well! Love you! xxx