Saturday, May 7, 2011

Teacher Appreciation Night


A couple of youth groups in our area put on a Teacher Appreciation Dinner.  The kids were asked to select a teacher that they found inspirational.  The night included dinner and program that ended with each teacher receiving a folder.  Inside the folder, they received a photo, a copy of "For the Strength of Youth", and a certificate of appreciation that contained a paragraph from the student about why he/she was selected.  Over fifty teachers participated in the event.  We saw more than a few teachers moved to tears before the night was done.



I started thinking about my teachers and who I would select to participate in such an event.  I had a Spanish teacher in high school.  She taught me so many more things than just how to conjugate verbs.  She lived in Spain for a few years and had adopted two black children.  She opened my eyes to a world beyond Pocatello, Idaho.  She talked about cultural diversity.  The Today Show came to interview her because she had engaged the Aryan Nation groups in northern Idaho and openly spoke out against the group.  She received bomb threats and death threats against her family.  Yet, she regularly spoke about social responsibility and achieving a global sense of our world.  She not only inspired me to look beyond my own community for opportunities to create a better and stronger world, but also to do my part within my own community.  She reinforced an acceptance of those who may appear different and looking to appreciate those differences. 

What an amazing opportunity for these teachers and students to share an evening celebrating excellence in education!
What a blessing for me to participate and to remember those teachers who had a positive influence on my life!

0 comments: